Re: Installer from Ports, ppc 32 bit : "No kernel modules found"[was: Re: problem with page /ports/powerpc/]

On Mon, 4 Dec 2017 11:11:07 +0100
John Paul Adrian Glaubitz <glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de> wrote:

> On 12/04/2017 01:26 AM, Wolfgang Pfeiffer wrote:
> [ .... ]

> >> Why not? Wayland actually uses *less* resources than X, much less.
> >> [ ... ]
> >
> > The "less reources" part sounds promising - but the rest:
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Common_F27_bugs#Wayland_issues
> > And no: I don't want to start a debate about wayland here .... ;)
>
> Well, Wayland certainly still has some issue but you still have
> the options in Debian anyway. Eventually it will replace X.Org
> though as the X upstream developers themselves no longer want to
> maintain 25+-year-old, bug-ridden source code.

OK, if the Xorg guys themselves already say that Xorg actually is over,
then I won't complain ...

> But again, we're not there yet anyway, so you don't have to worry.
>
> > And for the archives: I used this fine manual for usb booting the
> > installer: it's around five years old but here it worked:
> > https://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2012/08/msg00042.html
>
> Looks good. But as I said, I don't know for how long Yaboot will
> be around as it's currently being replaced.

No problem for me as long as GRUB will have some usable option to
boot a ppc installer from inside OF, as yaboot perfectly seems to do.
It's really cumbersome to first have to burn an installer image to some
CD instead of being able to quickly pipe such an image to a thumb drive
and use it ...

I'm not even sure I have a usable blanc CD-R(W) around ... and who does
nowadays, anyway?

> > Thanks a lot to everyone involved for the ppc ports installer
>
> That's quite a lot of people, actually :).
>
> Btw, please join #debian-ports on OFTC if you haven't already.

I've just been via "mibbit": on
irc://irc.debian.org/debianppc
I didn't see anyone in that room tho' ....

here I was:
irc://irc.mibbit.net/debian-ports

I'll be back as I know about the X environment I'll install.

Plus: the firmware I'd like to load into the installer environment: the
installer yesterday was complaining about missing firmware, IIRC. But
actually I'd guess this can done (and skipped at install time) on a
fully installed system by simply installing the "firmware-linux-nonfree"
package.

But anyways: I just downloaded
http://http.debian.net/debian/pool/non-free/f/firmware-nonfree/firmware-nonfree_20170823.orig.tar.xz
I'll try load that onto a second USB thumb drive and see whether the
installer can handle it .... ;)

I'll try to be back tomorrow with more information, if necessary ...

Regards,
Wolfgang