Re: Installer from Ports, ppc 32 bit : "No kernel modules found"[was: Re: problem with page /ports/powerpc/]

Hi Wolfgang!

On 12/03/2017 11:59 PM, Wolfgang Pfeiffer wrote:
> "No kernel modules were found. This probably is due to a mismatch
> between the kernel used by this version of the installer and the kernel
> version available in the archive.

Thanks for the heads-up, I knew I would have forgotten something.

I have to rebuild debian-installer to match the 4.14 kernel. The current
version of debian-installer on the installation images is built against
4.13 but unstable has kernel 4.14. I will fix this tomorrow.

> Oh: what X environment for this very old, but still working machine, is
> recommendable: I thought about some minimal X, extremely lightweight.
> Just xorg? How do I do this?

You can use something like fvwm, awesome or i3-wm.

> Point is: I currently have Debian 8 installed on this machine, and X
> isn't working well. Just had it booted: crashed, and I had to use the
> off-switch to reboot ...

Sounds like a kernel bug.

> No wayland, under no circumstances. Please! .. :)

Why not? Wayland actually uses *less* resources than X, much less.

But we're not there with Wayland anyway.

Thanks,
Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz