Re: New discussion: ppc64 installer -- ext2 /boot partition to keep sabot happy.

On 09/30/2017 02:05 PM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
> On 09/30/2017 11:40 AM, Gabriel Paubert wrote:> What's OFFS?
> I was talking about the OpenFirmware partition and I used the terminology
> from the grub-installer source code [1]. I haven't looked into the documentation
> yet, but I assume the partition is formatted with HFS on Macintosh.

It seems the OFFS refers to OpenFirmware File System, the file system
the particular firmware installed on a machine is able to read. In the
context of PowerPC platform that would be HFS on Apple machines, DOS on
IBM machines, AFFS1 on Amiga machines, EXT2 or AFFS1 on Pegasos machines.

The small 800KB HFS partition the yaboot is getting installed to is the
OFFS. The same partition should be used for grub. That is why d-i has to
create it larger. Another difference is that grub wants that partition
to be mounted as /boot/grub while on a yaboot installed system that
partition would not be mounted at all. Please note that for grub you
would need no separate /boot partition to keep kernel images at,
although you could still have one.

Milan