Re: New ppc64 installer image available -- installation test report

Hi Rick!

Thanks for your detailed feedback, this is very appreciated.

On 09/25/2017 09:08 AM, Rick Thomas wrote:
The partitioner no longer complains about not knowing which partitioning scheme to use, which is good news.

As I expected and also verified with my POWER7 VM.

However the partitioning scheme used by “guided — use whole disk" doesn't produce an HFS+ "bootstrap" partition or an ext2 "/boot" partition.
I created the two missing partitions manually, and let it proceed to the “pick a repo mirror” stage.

Ok, this confirms that we need to use the partition recipes for powerpc
on ppc64 in partman-auto. I will work on this.

It required me to enter the ports mirror manually. I did so.

Yes, I have not looked yet into choose-mirror. Let's focus on the partitioning
and bootloader installation first.

It then proceeded to tasksel.  I requested a minimal system plus ssh server.

Ok.

It then proceeded without incident and installed yaboot, which seemed to go fine.

Ok.

However the reboot timed out looking for its root partition.
I tried booting to “rescue” mode using the above CD.  While it booted OK, it went into regular install mode — not rescue mode.

We can put this onto the TODO list. This is most likely something
that needs to be addressed in debian-cd.

I used an earlier CD which went into rescue mode OK.

Hmm. Ok. Do you know when this CD was generated?

After some poking around, I found that the trouble was a bad UUID in the /etc/yaboot.conf file.
I can’t be sure, but it may have used a UUID from a previous iteration of the install.
In any case, I corrected the UUID and ran ybin.

Could you maybe try to confirm this? I will create an updated image with
a fixed partman-auto in any case.

It booted and gave me a login prompt.

Ok.

Next step is to install Grub and see what that gives.
This will be very interesting.

Thanks for testing!
Adrian

--