Re: New discussion: ppc64 installer -- ext2 /boot partition to keep sabot happy.

On 09/26/2017 02:40 PM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
> Ok, so I guess the first step would be to patch partman-auto to increase
> the size of the bootloader partition for all sub-architectures.

As for the required size we should probably consult wit Grub
maintainers. I guess it depends on which modules is grub binary going to
need. The rule of thumb for Yaboot was 800KB HFS partition, but grub
might need more and you want it to be future proof.

> Question: Does GRUB work on all the PowerPC variants that Yaboot supports?
>
> According to [1], Yaboot supports:
>
> - Mac Newworld, CHRP, CHRP/RS6000, CHRP_IBM and Cell.
>
> Are these all supported by GRUB? If yes, the transition won't break
> anything. I don't know what platforms like Oldworld use though. I assume
> they are booted from Penguin from MacOS?

Linux only oldworld Mac machines were using Quik.

https://packages.debian.org/sid/quik

Quik was not able to dual boot so if you had MacOS and linux the only
way to dual boot was to have the BootX (Penguin Icon) module installed
in MacOS which would let you load linux kernel from within MacOS space.

There is a Quik fork named iQuik which is amazingly enough still
maintained. Take a look at this:

https://github.com/andreiw/iQUIK/blob/master/README

Although, I'm not quite sure if the effort to support oldworld Mac
machines is worth doing.