Re: debian-installer now available in Ports

Am 2017-04-14 um 11:20 schrieb Mathieu Malaterre:
Leaving it to the user is by far the best option !

I think so too. Having the choice between yaboot and GRUB2 makes the most sense.

I think I am getting confused now, because on one page, we have
Performa 4400, 54xx, 5500 listed as powermac-OldWorld

https://www.debian.org/ports/powerpc/inst/install

while (Performa)54xx,6400 is reported to have OF 2.0:

http://www.netbsd.org/ports/macppc/models.html

So I am not clear exactly if OldWorld really imply no OpenFirmware.
I'll pass on to another expert.

I am not an expert, but I think the first Open Firmware Macs were using the old boot method, meaning they had the Macintosh Toolbox still in the ROM and they used the old XCOFF binary version of BootX.

The transition to NewWorld came just a little bit after the switch to Open Firmware.