Re: debian-installer now available in Ports

Hello!

On 04/14/2017 10:04 AM, Linux User #330250 wrote:
> I burned a CD-R with it and tested booting it on my Power Mac G4 Quicksilver (2001, Dual).
> I chose "expert" at the prompt. All seems to be working.

Great!

> The graphics card is a Mac-flashed Nvidia GeForce 6200 (NV44A), connected via DVI. Text mode
> installation seems to be accellerated and in high (native to the
> monitor?) resolution.

Sounds good.

> I cannot, however, choose a mirror. Is this due to unstable?

Yes, the choose-mirror package currently doesn't support unstable [1]. You can easily enter a normal
mirror URL like "ftp.debian.org" and "debian/" as a sub-directory and it should work.

> I used manual partitioning. This is the last Power Mac that is limited to LBA-28. I used a 250 GB
> IDE HDD, so I am above this limit. I am not sure if the automated partitioning will work around this?

This probably applies to OpenFirmware only while the kernel uses its own code to access block devices,
so I think it shouldn't matter. I have used large disks on my Amiga with Linux without any problems
as well even though AmigaOS natively supports up to 2 GiB only if I remember correctly.

> When it came to choose packages to install, the installer only provided a default taskset. I would have
> liked to choose a desktop taskset.

Yes, this is also a result of the installation target being "unstable".

> Anyway, after the installation, the system is bootable with yaboot and seems to work. "apt update" doesn't
> seems to lack a source. mirrorselect?!?

You will have to add unstable to your /etc/apt/sources.list manually. It's most likely related to
"choose-mirror" not supporting unstable.

> One suggestion for further improvement: on an older installation I had used before powerpc was dropped
> (Debian 7.x, then testing) I was able to get grub2 running. It would be an idea to have grub2 as an
> alternative to yaboot during installation.

It's possible to add support for that. We're planning to do the same thing for sparc64 but the patches
for sparc64 support haven't been merged in GRUB yet, neither in Debian nor upstream. But it will come.

Does anyone know how well supported GRUB on powerpc is? Does it support all PPC Macs or only newer
ones, e

> Welcome! And also big thanks for not abandoning powerpc!

You're welcome. This has been a joint effort of many people within Debian, especially in Debian Ports!

Support for more unofficial architectures like alpha, hppa, m68k, ppc64, sh4 and more is in the works.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz