Re: debian-installer now available in Ports

Am 2017-04-13 um 09:09 schrieb John Paul Adrian Glaubitz:

On 04/12/2017 09:34 PM, Steven Chamberlain wrote:
You can find the .iso images within each job's workspace e.g.: http://jenkins.kfreebsd.eu/jenkins/view/cd/job/debian-cd_sid_hurd-i386/ws/build/
Ok, great. So, powerpc users have a way of performing an installation with
up-to-date images - since some people were already asking.

Anyone here on the debian-powerpc mailing list could test the images?

http://jenkins.kfreebsd.eu/jenkins/view/cd/job/debian-cd_sid_powerpc/ws/

I burned a CD-R with it and tested booting it on my Power Mac G4 Quicksilver (2001, Dual). I chose "expert" at the prompt. All seems to be working.

The graphics card is a Mac-flashed Nvidia GeForce 6200 (NV44A), connected via DVI. Text mode installation seems to be accellerated and in high (native to the monitor?) resolution.

I cannot, however, choose a mirror. Is this due to unstable?

I used manual partitioning. This is the last Power Mac that is limited to LBA-28. I used a 250 GB IDE HDD, so I am above this limit. I am not sure if the automated partitioning will work around this?

When it came to choose packages to install, the installer only provided a default taskset. I would have liked to choose a desktop taskset.

Anyway, after the installation, the system is bootable with yaboot and seems to work. "apt update" doesn't, seems to lack a source. mirrorselect?!?

One suggestion for further improvement: on an older installation I had used before powerpc was dropped (Debian 7.x, then testing) I was able to get grub2 running. It would be an idea to have grub2 as an alternative to yaboot during installation.

Thanks,
Adrian

Welcome! And also big thanks for not abandoning powerpc!