Re: debian-installer now available in Ports

On Fri, Apr 14, 2017 at 11:14 AM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
<glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de> wrote:
> On 04/14/2017 11:05 AM, Mathieu Malaterre wrote:
>>> Does anyone know how well supported GRUB on powerpc is? Does it support all PPC Macs or only newer
>>> ones, e
>>
>> OldWorld will not work:
>>
>> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-grub/2015-03/msg00072.html
>
> Yeah, I was actually about to ask whether the criteria would be a NewWorld
> machine, but for some reason I didn't finish my sentence :O.
>
>> NewWorld are supposed to work. So the question is: does anyone still
>> has an OldWorld ?
>
> I tried installing on a PB3400 a while ago - didn't work, there are issues [1].
>
> However, I'm not ruling out that other OldWorld machines work, so we could
> just try detecting the machine type in debian-installer and enable GRUB
> for the NewWorld machines only.

Leaving it to the user is by far the best option !

I think I am getting confused now, because on one page, we have
Performa 4400, 54xx, 5500 listed as powermac-OldWorld

https://www.debian.org/ports/powerpc/inst/install

while (Performa)54xx,6400 is reported to have OF 2.0:

http://www.netbsd.org/ports/macppc/models.html

So I am not clear exactly if OldWorld really imply no OpenFirmware.
I'll pass on to another expert.

-M