Re: Xorg fails on ATI after update (mmio aperture)

On Mon, 2017-03-06 at 08:59 +0100, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:

> > On Mar 6, 2017, at 8:36 AM, Michel Dänzer <michel@daenzer.net>
> > wrote:
> >

> > > On 06/03/17 04:20 PM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
> > > Correct me if I'm wrong, but in order to use atyfb you have to
> > > use
> > > the fbdev xorg driver. That's my main point.
> >
> > If you mean for Xorg to use atyfb, that's technically correct, but
> > I'm
> > not sure how it's relevant.
>
> It's relevant because using the FB driver is always a working
> fallback solution.
>

> > > I was talking about the missing DRM module as explained in the
> > > linked
> > > article on the X.Org wiki.
> >
> > The kernel module is only needed for DRI 3D hardware acceleration,
> > for
> > which the needed Mesa driver isn't available in Debian (or even
> > current
> > upstream Mesa) anyway.
>
> I know DRM is required for 3D acceleration. I was not sure if the
> driver would allow to be loaded with the DRM module missing.
>

> > > But in any case, using fbdev should always work. The "mach64"
> > > driver
> > > may be broken because it's more or less orphaned.
> >
> > Except for the part where Riccardo says that the same userspace
> > works
> > with an older kernel.
>
> I missed that part completely.
>

> > Anyway, I looked at Riccardo's original post again and noticed that
> > his
> > xorg.conf has options disabling all hardware acceleration of
> > xserver-xorg-video-mach64 anyway. In that case there's no benefit
> > in
> > using that vs xserver-xorg-video-fbdev.
>
> On a sidenote: Please be more polite on this list. There is no need
> to be that rude and condescending.

No. He wasn't rude. Not a bit. He simply was - as most of the time here
- very specific, terse and up to the relevant technical points. And
yes: I miss Michel's postings here a little bit. He's a pro, and I
definitively trust him a lot when he's commenting here or elsewhere.

Here's an example of what might be understood as rude. It was written
by me, years ago, on this list:

"Situations like that is why I say that Debian-Linux does not work for
people with a girl-friend or a family, or for folks who need to get a
job done on a computer in a reasonable amount of time. Or for folks who
simply like watching shadows on the wall (John Lennon :) or the stars
above them.

I'd guess it's a system for folks not knowing what to do with their
lives if they had a working OS on their computer."

Whole message:
https://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2003/08/msg00559.html

I admit: I miss postings like that previous one a bit ... :)

> Thank you!

No worries, Adrian: I'm immensely grateful to all Debian developers,
maintainers etc. for their work  - and to every single one of them. I'd
suggest to not destroy the fun of working on it by being too sensitive
about what people *might* have had in their minds when posting here ..

Love you all .... :)

Wolfgang