Re: Xorg fails on ATI after update (mmio aperture)

> On Mar 6, 2017, at 8:36 AM, Michel Dänzer <michel@daenzer.net> wrote:
>
>> On 06/03/17 04:20 PM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
>> Correct me if I'm wrong, but in order to use atyfb you have to use
>> the fbdev xorg driver. That's my main point.
>
> If you mean for Xorg to use atyfb, that's technically correct, but I'm
> not sure how it's relevant.

It's relevant because using the FB driver is always a working fallback solution.

>> I was talking about the missing DRM module as explained in the linked
>> article on the X.Org wiki.
>
> The kernel module is only needed for DRI 3D hardware acceleration, for
> which the needed Mesa driver isn't available in Debian (or even current
> upstream Mesa) anyway.

I know DRM is required for 3D acceleration. I was not sure if the driver would allow to be loaded with the DRM module missing.

>> But in any case, using fbdev should always work. The "mach64" driver
>> may be broken because it's more or less orphaned.
>
> Except for the part where Riccardo says that the same userspace works
> with an older kernel.

I missed that part completely.

> Anyway, I looked at Riccardo's original post again and noticed that his
> xorg.conf has options disabling all hardware acceleration of
> xserver-xorg-video-mach64 anyway. In that case there's no benefit in
> using that vs xserver-xorg-video-fbdev.

On a sidenote: Please be more polite on this list. There is no need to be that rude and condescending.

Thank you!

Adrian