Re: Xorg fails on ATI after update (mmio aperture)

On 06/03/17 04:20 PM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but in order to use atyfb you have to use
> the fbdev xorg driver. That's my main point.

If you mean for Xorg to use atyfb, that's technically correct, but I'm
not sure how it's relevant.

> I was talking about the missing DRM module as explained in the linked
> article on the X.Org wiki.

The kernel module is only needed for DRI 3D hardware acceleration, for
which the needed Mesa driver isn't available in Debian (or even current
upstream Mesa) anyway.

> But in any case, using fbdev should always work. The "mach64" driver
> may be broken because it's more or less orphaned.

Except for the part where Riccardo says that the same userspace works
with an older kernel.

Anyway, I looked at Riccardo's original post again and noticed that his
xorg.conf has options disabling all hardware acceleration of
xserver-xorg-video-mach64 anyway. In that case there's no benefit in
using that vs xserver-xorg-video-fbdev.