Re: Xorg fails on ATI after update (mmio aperture)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in order to use atyfb you have to use the fbdev xorg driver. That's my main point.

Regarding "mach64" I just said it *may* not work properly when atyfb is loaded because it needs to access the hardware itself, so I would try disabling atyfb for a test. If I remember correctly, it uses offb for early startup console on Open Firmware systems anyway. I did not claim you need a KMS kernel module for "mach64". I was talking about the missing DRM module as explained in the linked article on the X.Org wiki.

But in any case, using fbdev should always work. The "mach64" driver may be broken because it's more or less orphaned.

Adrian