Re: newest linux-image-3.0.0-1 doesn't recognize HD

On Thu, 18 Aug 2011 15:57:51 -0400
Milan Kupcevic <milan@physics.harvard.edu> wrote:

MK> When you get the shell try to type
MK>
MK> modprobe pata_macio
MK>
MK> then see if you have new stuff in /dev/
MK>
MK> At least one ATA controller should work with this module. If you are
MK> lucky and your HD is connected to this controller then press ctrl+D
MK> and it will boot fine. Then do this:
MK>
MK>   echo pata_macio >> /etc/initramfs-tools/modules
MK>   update-initramfs -u
MK>
MK> Otherwise you will have to figure out which ATA controller you have
MK> in your machine and then determine which driver module will run it.

That worked on my G3 iBook, but I also needed to change /dev/hda? ->
/dev/sda? in /etc/fstab to get /home to mount. Rather curiously, the
root partition did mount as /dev/hda3, even though there was no hda3 in
/dev (must be something at a lower level).

| James Tappin           | School of Physics & Astronomy |  O__    |
| sjt@star.sr.bham.ac.uk | University of Birmingham      | --  \/` |
| Ph: 0121-414-6462. Fax: 0121-414-3722                  |         |