Re: Something that we don't want to happen to PowerPC on Debian

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Sun, 17 Apr 2011 22:02:36 +0200
> Von: Jeroen Diederen <jjhdiederen@zonnet.nl>
> An: Gerhard Pircher <gerhard_pircher@gmx.net>
> CC: Brian Morris <cymraegish@gmail.com>, "Rogério Brito" <rbrito@ime.usp.br>, debian-powerpc@lists.debian.org
> Betreff: Re: Something that we don\'t want to happen to PowerPC on Debian

> Can you keep us posted about these projects of yours, especially related
> to the Sam460 board ?
>
> Thanks
> Jeroen

Sure. But to be honest: I do not own any Sam board. However both the
AmigaOne (not the X1000 variant) and the Sam boards use U-Boot as
firmware, make use of the same bootloader (AmigaOS's slbv2) and need
their own kernel image. So basically the same work has to be done for
these boards. That's why I would like to support the Sam boards, too.

BTW: Would this project be a candidate for Debian mentors? I don't
have much knowledge about the debian-installer yet and thus have a lot
of stupid questions, which are usually not answered on a dedicated
Debian mailing list.

> On Sun, 2011-04-17 at 19:55 +0200, Gerhard Pircher wrote:
> > -------- Original-Nachricht --------
> > > Datum: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 20:39:41 -0700
> > > Von: Brian Morris <cymraegish@gmail.com>
> > > An: debian-powerpc@lists.debian.org
> > > Betreff: Re: Something that we don\'t want to happen to PowerPC on
> Debian
> >
> > > I believe perhaps the greatest factor is are new products being made
> > > and expected in the near future.
> > > although some or most of these industrial applications appear to be
> > > running VME or  some such non Linux OS, I believe that there is
> > > certainly future potential for Linux especially in the aftermarket
> > > or smaller manufacturers with tighter margins (perhaps the new
> > > commercial space ventures who knows).
> > Besides some industrial PPC applications there is still PPC hardware
> > being developed for normal desktop users. A good example are the
> > Sam440 and Sam460 boards from ACube Systems Srl. (with AMCC 440/460
> > cpus) or the yet to be released AmigaOne X1000 with a dual-core PA6T
> > cpu. All these machines were (mostly) development for AmigaOS and are
> > very expensive (compared to normal PC hardware - IIRC a motherboard
> > costs around 600 to 800€), but I'm sure a lot Amiga users will also
> > run Linux (hopefully Debian) on these machines.
> >
> > > another thing to possible speak of is the wonderfully improved
> > > support for auto-vectorizing of altivec in recent versions of gcc.
> > > It would be a terrible thing to waste this. But the port needs to
> > > somehow back it. Debian being something of a behemoth, it is a wild
> > > hope that there would be good support to simply user custom build
> > > systems such as altivec optimizing.
> > I also have libfreevec running on my AmigaOneXE (7455 cpu). This
> > machine is quite slow under GNOME, so any speed improvement is more
> > than welcome.
> > However DRM (hardware graphics acceleration) is unusable on it, which
> > is even a bigger pain. :-(
> >
> > > Another major major factor is is there (documented) plenty new blood
> > > of developers and users in Debian for the port.
> > I'm trying to adapt the Debian installer for my AmigaOne and possibly
> > also for the Sam440/460 boards. I have a rough plan for what needs to
> > be changed, but utterly failed so far to even adapt the linux-2.6
> > source package for these platforms.

best regards,
Gerhard