Re: A short tutorial on running GRUB2 on a PPC

Dear anonymous,

First of all, thank you for demotivating me (a moderately long-time contributor)
from contributing to a port that lacks developers. Since you know things better,
we would surely appreciate your patches and documentation, especially when the
alternatives are incorrect.

On 2011-04-02 23:17, Super Bisquit wrote:
> it won't work for all operating systems.

Do you know of any bootloader that will load anything and everything? I'd like
to install that one on my systems. quik doesn't work for newworld macs. yaboot
doesn't work for oldworld macs. Neither of them work for my Kurobox (with a
Freescale PPC processor). But I am happy to use Debian on all of those systems.

> NetBSD must be located as the
> first booting system. OpenBSD has to be specially modified to boot and
> may require the same area as NetBSD.

I don't get your point: if you don't want to use GRUB, that's your prerogative
and I am not interferring with you. Actually, I didn't even know that you
existed up to this moment. :-)

And I don't want to start any OS war here.

> FreeBSD can have more than one installation but the root directory
> must be set from the bootloader.

Just for the record, I can have more than one Linux installation and I would be
surprised to have a modern system that can't boot so (even embedded systems can).

> Now, why are you having the system boot twice: one from an HFS with
> grub2 on it and a second with another bootloader on another HFS
> partition?

Some points here:

* I'm not talking about two HFS partitions.

* Most systems currently employ a 2-step boot process, with the first being
systems even employ more steps.

I am not advocating any excessive steps: I am just giving an alternative to a
bootloader that almost caused this platform to not be released with Debian.

> Seems to be an extreme waste to have to enter that command considering
> there is the Option menu with icons for each installed system.

Can you pass paratemers to the kernel of your option when you boot with the
Option menu pressed? I guess not, but you probably know better.

> This
> would even cause trouble on a B&W G3 or a powerbook G3 because you
> would still need to load the bootloader of another system and then add
> more arguments.

What point of using the appropriate software for the appropriate purposes are
you missing?

> Grub2 is piss poor enough on Debian to boot UFS2 andFFS2 systems.

And you are free to continue using yaboot (or whatever you like). And you are
also free to come up with your contributions to GRUB2. Or to yaboot. Or to...

> Go back, install another operating system on the powerbook, and try
> booting each one with a grub2 entry.
>
> Do you want to run single user mode to fsck a BSD install? It won't
> work with what you suggest.

I fail to see where in my blog I suggested that we should dump every other
bootloader to use grub2 (but it would be nice to have one uniform bootloader for
this painful mess).

> Are you suggesting that for entries that don't work, the user will
> need to set the exact boot argument each time from Open Firmware? I
> don't think you have completely thought out your suggestion.

Are you trying to read other people's minds? You're failing. :-)

> OpenFirmware is not a Mac program.

Please, don't put words in my mouth. I did *not* say that OF is a "mac program".
I said that it is a program that runs when your Mac boots.

> It is a forth environment based on
> OpenBoot. It is OS independent.

I know that, having already worked with sparc workstations in the days of SunOS.

> There is no size limit to the hfs boot partion, you can set that and
> label it yourself. Again, you did not research or attempt anything
> yourself, did you?

I do know that, but, as I said in my post, the partitions are usually already
there, with fixed size and with no free space left.

Also, gparted can't expand an HFS partition. In fact, if you don't even install
hfsprogs (which I maintain here alone and other distros picked up from me---but
for which I would gladly accept help from others), you wouldn't even be able to
use a Free Software tool in a Free Software operating system to use parted with
your disks.

And for he people that have not yet installed Debian, I want to fix what GRUB2
does incorrectly so that we can install it in NewWorld macs in time for wheezy.
 In the same way that I want to help with some other porter stuff (e.g., getting
libraries like Konstantinos Margaritis's freevec suitable for inclusion in
Debian, so that we can extract some extra juice from the programs that we
already use).

> The setup you suggest for booting is a waste and poorly thought out.
> why go from hda2 to hda7? You are going to have a setup as :
> APM hda1
> Apple Bootstrap hda2
> Ext3 hda3
> Ext3 hda4
> Ext3 hda5
> Swap hda6
> Apple Bootstrap hda7?
> Not thinking this through, eh?

You probably didn't read my post. Here is the exact quote:

"some partition to hold /boot (I don't have one of these, but let's say that it
is /dev/hda7 for our discussion purposes), usually containing your kernels and
initial ramdisks."

The 7 was to stand out so that people reading it carelessly would have their
attention drawn. Like your attention was brought to this point.

> Acabe de pensar, homem, pensar.

Thanks. I will think twice before even reading your posts. :-)

> You may think I'm being an asshole to you; but, I am only giving you
> realistic arguments.

:-)

Just for the record, don't expect from me any further response without
constructive criticism.

Sincerely yours,

- --
Rogério Brito : rbrito@{ime.usp.br,gmail.com} : GPG key 4096R/BCFCAAAA