Re: A short tutorial on running GRUB2 on a PPC

it won't work for all operating systems. NetBSD must be located as the
first booting system. OpenBSD has to be specially modified to boot and
may require the same area as NetBSD.
FreeBSD can have more than one installation but the root directory
must be set from the bootloader.
Now, why are you having the system boot twice: one from an HFS with
grub2 on it and a second with another bootloader on another HFS
partition?

Seems to be an extreme waste to have to enter that command considering
there is the Option menu with icons for each installed system. This
would even cause trouble on a B&W G3 or a powerbook G3 because you
would still need to load the bootloader of another system and then add
more arguments.

Grub2 is piss poor enough on Debian to boot UFS2 andFFS2 systems.

Go back, install another operating system on the powerbook, and try
booting each one with a grub2 entry.

Do you want to run single user mode to fsck a BSD install? It won't
work with what you suggest.
Are you suggesting that for entries that don't work, the user will
need to set the exact boot argument each time from Open Firmware? I
don't think you have completely thought out your suggestion.

OpenFirmware is not a Mac program. It is a forth environment based on
OpenBoot. It is OS independent. An exception to hfs is that OpenBSD
can boot from a DOS partition. You didn't even research this, did you?

No, you can dd yaboot to the boot partition if you want.

There is no size limit to the hfs boot partion, you can set that and
label it yourself. Again, you did not research or attempt anything
yourself, did you?

The setup you suggest for booting is a waste and poorly thought out.
why go from hda2 to hda7? You are going to have a setup as :
APM hda1
Apple Bootstrap hda2
Ext3 hda3
Ext3 hda4
Ext3 hda5
Swap hda6
Apple Bootstrap hda7?
Not thinking this through, eh?

Acabe de pensar, homem, pensar.

You may think I'm being an asshole to you; but, I am only giving you
realistic arguments.

Even yaboot has problems booting a BSD install.