Re: Unofficial Squeeze NetInst CDs: call for testers

On Sat, Dec 18, 2010 at 06:59:08PM -0800, Gary Driggs wrote:
> On Dec 18, 2010, at 5:46 PM, Brian Morris wrote:
>
> > My main gripe as I have said before here is that there are no
> > G4-Altivec optimized binary packages Debian based to be found
> > anywhere.

This is not likely to change.  Packages are generally built for the most
generic type of machine (this is true even of e.g. i386) and I know
there are people that are still using G3s.  In fact, my main PowerPC
machine is an iBook with a G3 processor.

Some packages, however, will check the CPU type and enable certain
optimized routines (such as those using Altivec) when possible.  This
strategy is especially common in multimedia software.

> Does anyone know if the package popularity contest stats also track
> more machine specific data behind the scenes? The reason I ask is that
> despite there being a fair number of IBM users on the list I suspect
> that the majority of Debian PPC users have Apple hardware.

No, popcon doesn't.  All popcon gets is architecture and list of
packages.  However, you might be able to pull out some statistics from
the number of users who have a given package installed.  Bootloaders are
a great way to determine this.