Re: Making module for WLAN stick on iBook

On Apr 21 2010, Sakari Aaltonen wrote:
> Quoting Rogério Brito
> >Let's see if we can pinpoint where the
> >problem lies.  But, before that, did you try any newer kernel?
>
> As I said, the older WLAN stick works well with the iBook, and I
> really have no experience of playing with kernels on a Debian system.

I think that I could help a little bit. If you have access to a faster
system, I can also provide you with a simple script (just 5 or 6 "real"
lines worth of work) to cross-compile kernels to generate a deb package
for your powerpc.

You can get a lot of details regarding kernels in Debian here:

http://kernel-handbook.alioth.debian.org/

It contains instructions regarding the initramfs etc. If you want
something more recent than that 2.6.26 kernel, then you could try the
kernel in squeeze:

http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/linux-image-2.6.32-3-powerpc

If you need something newer (but still much more conservative than
something taken from Linus Torvalds's tree), you could try:

http://packages.debian.org/experimental/linux-image-2.6.33-2-powerpc

> I got started on the RTL8192U because I thought the driver sources for
> Linux that came with A-Link's stick would be enough.  That turned out
> not to be the case.

I would be interested in at least having an idea if the driver works for
ppc with a newer kernel.

> I think I got the older stick 3-4 years ago. I'm sure it was the
> manufacturer, A-Link, that supplied the firmware. I don't remember
> which distribution I was using at the time - Slackware? Certainly not
> Debian.

Well, nice. It would be worthwhile to see if the appropriate firmware is
already in one of the packages in Debian.  The purpose here would be to
get the distribution as future-proof as possible for the

Hope you find the reference interesting,

--
Rogério Brito : rbrito@{ime.usp.br,gmail.com} : GPG key 1024D/7C2CAEB8
http://rb.doesntexist.org : Packages for LaTeX : algorithms.berlios.de