Re: Making module for WLAN stick on iBook

Hi, Sakari.

On Apr 14 2010, Sakari Aaltonen wrote:
> It *was* pretty easy. What was obviously missing was prototypes for
> vmalloc() and vfree(). So, I added one line to r8192U_core.c:
> #include <linux/usb.h>
> #include <linux/vmalloc.h>     /* include for Debian 5.0.4 iBook 2010-04-14 */
>
> With this change, 'make' succeeded.

Great. That's the easy part (getting it to compile).

> 'make install' didn't, but all that seemed to be needed was making
> directories /etc/acpi and /etc/acpi/events, which didn't exist
> previously.

Have you tried installing pbbuttonsd and gtkpowerprefs? Alternatively,
pommed may be of use here.

But this ACPI stuff is, probably, just a peripheral matter.

> Everything looked OK, so I rebooted and mounted the WLAN stick.
> Unfortunately, nothing seems to be happening with it. 'lsmod' shows
> that module r8192s_usb has, in fact, been loaded (automatically),
> and 'dmesg' reports
> Linux kernel driver for RTL8192 based WLAN cards

Great.

> However, when I say 'ifconfig wlan0 up', the answer is
>
> wlan0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device

That's not so great. Did you use iwconfig before ifconfig, though?
Depending on how your wireless network is set up, you may want to
install wpasupplicant etc.

> Also, the two-computer (Network Manager?) icon at the top of the
> screen that would normally drop down a setup dialog for a wireless
> network stays inactive.
>
> However, this is getting close, isn't it?

Yes, it is, but debugging this will get quite harder now. I still would
suggest you to pursue the road:

,----
| git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git
| cd linux-2.6
| cp /boot/any-config-that-you-want .config
| make oldconfig
| make deb-pkg
`----

And install the deb package that is generated. (You may, perhaps, have
to install fakeroot for the "make deb-pkg" step, but that's just a minor
package).

And, if you don't delete this tree, you can periodically grab only the
small changes that go into Linus's tree and keep following it, seeing
the everything works as intended and having direct contact with the
developers.

Regards,

--
Rogério Brito : rbrito@{ime.usp.br,gmail.com} : GPG key 1024D/7C2CAEB8