Re: Making module for WLAN stick on iBook

Hi, Sakari.

On Apr 20 2010, Sakari Aaltonen wrote:
> I think I'll have to give up on making the r8192s_usb module myself;
> it seems to require too much effort.

Hummm, don't give up just yet. Let's see if we can pinpoint where the
problem lies.  But, before that, did you try any newer kernel?

I am willing to compile you a newer kernel so that we can debug this
and, if that is the case, report anything to the subsystem/module
developers---then, we will have a proper, working kernel that we can
count on.

> On a brighter note - I remembered an older WLAN stick I had lying
> around. Getting that to work was comparatively - well, ridiculously
> - easy. Apparently, the zd1211rw stuff needed was included in the
> 2.6.26-2-powerpc kernel. I just put the firmware in /lib, and that
> was it.

Well, that's nice that you now have some working wlan. BTW, how/where
did you get the firmware from?

I don't know how much familiar with the concept of a distribution like
Debian, but we usually advise people to prefer to things that are
already packaged. Is that the case of your firmware?

Regards, Rogério Brito.

--
Rogério Brito : rbrito@{ime.usp.br,gmail.com} : GPG key 1024D/7C2CAEB8
http://rb.doesntexist.org : Packages for LaTeX : algorithms.berlios.de