Re: RealPlayer audio streams

Benjamin Cama wrote:
Hi,

I don't want to sound too pedantic, bit I'd like to precise some
things :

Le mardi 27 janvier 2009 à 14:28 +0930, Mike Hore a écrit :
Anyway, kplayer is happily handling real streams, MP3 and WMP with no problem. Hey, I'm not a purist, I just like to get the job done, any way that works :-)

It's not about being a "purist", it's just about not breaking the law.
By using this software, you put yourself in an illegal position in your
country, and I don't know why some people find it exciting to break the
law (a famous example in our computer world being by using software
they've obtained illegally), but that's not my case.

OK, point taken.  Actually I have no idea what Australia's position is
on software patents, and I don't really want to bother finding out.  But
thank you for pointing out that the problem isn't an issue of "purity",
whatever that is, but legality.

I am not telling you not to use these software, on the contrary ! I
think that you're just being reminded, by using this repository, that
your act is condemned in some place like yours, because of these laws.

Yes, I'm happy to be reminded that there might be a legality issue.
Then it's up to me where I go from there.

And I think you should care, so that you can better fight these rules
that hinders you from lawfully using some of the free-software that come
"with" Debian.

Yes, I care, at least if the patent is stupid.  I'm not against
intellectual property protection as such, but I know some patents,
granted by judges with no IT experience, are very "strange", let's say.

Cheers,  Mike.

          Mike Hore        mike_hore@aapt.net.au