Re: RealPlayer audio streams

Hans Ekbrand wrote:
On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 10:12:09PM +0100, Gerfried Fuchs wrote:
* Hans Ekbrand <hans.ekbrand@sociology.gu.se> [2009-01-22 15:19:14 CET]:
On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 02:24:34PM +0100, Bin Zhang wrote:
You can use mplayer and mozilla-mplayer (debian packages). You need
realmedia codecs. Two options for installing the codecs:
- run
    /usr/share/mplayer/scripts/binary_codecs.sh install
- install Linux PPC 20071007 codecs in your /usr/lib/codecs from
http://www1.mplayerhq.hu/design7/dload.html

You'll need installing the package libstdc++.so.5.
Both of these, are not-the-debian-way.
 Says who? The binary_codecs.sh script infact _is_ the Debian way.

Generally, running install scripts is *not* the debian way, apt-get is.
I don't know the details in this particular case.

Why not just apt-get from www.debian-multimedia.org?
Because that's not-the-debian-way.

Maybe not in your contry, but maybe in countries that does not
acknowledge software patents. I don't now your particular situation,
but this is my guess.

Hi folks, I'm in Australia which I think does acknowledge software patents but I don't really know, or even care, frankly. But just for the record, www.debian-multimedia.org did the job for me. All I did was add that line to my sources.list file, use SPM to select kplayer and everything it depends on, and apply the updates. I think that's pretty much equivalent to using apt-get, but SPM supposedly handles dependencies a bit better? Anyway, kplayer is happily handling real streams, MP3 and WMP with no problem. Hey, I'm not a purist, I just like to get the job done, any way that works :-)

Cheers,  Mike.

          Mike Hore        mike_hore@aapt.net.au