Re: RealPlayer audio streams

Hi,

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 2:02 AM, Mike Hore <mike_hore@aapt.net.au> wrote:
> Mike Hore wrote:
>>
>> Now my next question is another newbie question -- I want to try to run
>> the Helix audio player, so I've downloaded the latest PPC build
>>
>> hxplay-11.1.1.1404-linux-powerpc64
>>
>> The problem is, I don't really know what to do next.  I've uncompressed it
>> into a directory "helix" in my home directory, and there's a whole lot of
>> stuff there including a Bin directory with an executable file called "setup"
>> that I guess I'm supposed to run, but I can't run it from there, and don't
>> know either where to put it or how to change my paths or whatever it is so I
>> can run it from the command line.  Sorry for asking such basic questions...
>
> OK, I got it figured out.  I checked my $PATH variable and found I needed to
> either move the helix stuff into e.g. /usr/bin, or else
> on the command line just type the complete path to the setup prog.  This
> worked, and I got Helix installed.
>
> Now, never satisfied, I want to get streaming audio from sites that only
>  provide RealPlayer or WMP formats!  These are proprietary, and so not
> supported by Helix.  Helix kindly tells me I need to download RealPlayer 11,
> but of course when I look there I find that while Linux packages are
> available in RPM or DEB formats, it's x86 only (as usual).

You can use mplayer and mozilla-mplayer (debian packages). You need
realmedia codecs. Two options for installing the codecs:
- run
    /usr/share/mplayer/scripts/binary_codecs.sh install
- install Linux PPC 20071007 codecs in your /usr/lib/codecs from
http://www1.mplayerhq.hu/design7/dload.html

You'll need installing the package libstdc++.so.5.

Regards,
Bin