Re: Yaboot does not handle ext4 root partition?

On Dec 9, 2009, at 1:58 PM, Geoff Levand wrote:

On 12/08/2009 09:58 PM, Rick Thomas wrote:
On Dec 8, 2009, at 7:13 PM, Geoff Levand wrote:

Just FYI, Petitboot now also has ext4 support.  Currently Petitboot
only supports the PS3 though.  Mac G5 support is in progress.

Way Cool!  Will the Mac support be G5 specific?
Any chance of supporting new-world G4 and G3 machines?

I have no plan to support other PowerPC machines.  The
next target I'll work to support is x86 PC (as a grub
2nd stage image).

Petitboot is just user space Linux programs.  It has
generic UI's (currently just an ncurses one with a twin
one in progress but not usable), so it is not too
difficult  to create a bootloader image for a new target
if that target is supported by OpenWRT.

For more info on Petitboot and OpenWRT see:

 http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/geoff/petitboot-dev.git;a=tree;f=man;hb=HEAD
 http://openwrt.org/
 http://dev.openwrt.org/wiki/ps3

-Geoff

Very interesting. Thanks for the references. Is there a mailing-list I can subscribe to that will keep me up-to-date on developments?

When I asked if the Mac support would be G5 specific, what I meant was that the G4 and G3 new-world Macs all have (more or less) the same type of boot ROM ("OpenBoot" firmware) so it would seem that anything that worked on the G5 Macs should also work on the older machines as well. Is there anything about the G5 specifically that you need?

My remark about the old-world Macs was meant to refer to the fact that the boot ROM on those machines was much more primitive, thus probably not worth trying to cater to.

Enjoy!

Rick