Re: Switching from Ubuntu

Shawn H. Corey pisze:
> Hi,
>
> I have a PowerBook G4 and I running Ubuntu 8.04 LTS.  I am not
> completely satisfied with it and I am thinking of converting to Debain.
>
> Just how different is the 'Official CD/DVD images of the "stable"
> release' <http://www.debian.org/CD/http-ftp/#stable> from Ubuntu?
> Does it use GNOME?  How hard is it to set up the internet (if I get
> that going, I can <strike>bug</strike> ask you about anything else)?
>
> I have my /home mounted on a separate partition.  Can I easily remount
> it under Debian?  (I will make backups before I start).
I'd say that if all you want is a desktop machine then stick to Ubuntu,
maybe upgrade to a newer version and see if it fixes your problems. What
exactly makes you unsatisfied? Debian uses Gnome as default (at least it
used to the last time I used it on a desktop). How do you connect to the
internet?
There should be no problems with remounting /home under Debian since you
probably use ext3 (given you use 8.04) and not ext4 which is AFAIK not
supported by Debian stable.

--
Cheers!
Andrzej Mendel