Using flash/video on non-mainstream arches and youtube-dl (was: Re: view flash website)

Hi.

I'm including -mentors on this reply, since some may be interested in
the newer packages that I offer. Please, keep the CC'ies.

On Sep 03 2009, the grv wrote:
> And, for your consideration, every three days i want to visit You
> tube, Vimeo website, myspace, and so on.... web services that use a
> flash tecnology. Many people use this services, every day.

Are you using Flash for the video player part? If so, then you might
want to check some alternatives.

  (Here begins the part that may be of interest to -mentors)

For instance, youtube-dl (present in the unstable part of our
repository) is a handy tool to download the files and it is frequently
updated.

I have newer version of youtube-dl at http://rb.doesntexist.org/debian/
that may be more interesting for anybody using it (it is signed with my
cryptographic key), and you can get the sources at:

dget http://rb.doesntexist.org/debian/youtube-dl_2009.08.08-1~try01.dsc

I frequently use it with aria2c, so that I can download the videos
faster (and, actually, it is a good thing to follow, say, some courses
from universities).

   (Here ends the part of interest to debian-mentors).

If you just trust me (you shouldn't, since you don't know me), you can
get a ready-made package from:

http://rb.doesntexist.org/debian/youtube-dl_2009.08.08-1~try01_all.deb

After you get the videos, you can play them with vlc, mplayer, xine,
totem, whatever.

The package "clive" is another alternative to grab videos from all over
the place. You may want to check the mozilla/firefox plugin for mplayer
so that you can play your videos "in place".

All this is available for powerpc too (I use it, and I'm interested in
the platform, as I have some very old powerpc boxes that are still going
strong).

If you are not using a flash player for videos, then using swfdec or
gnash may be an alternative (I'm not sure, since I don't use those).

The lack of flash for those alternative views is actually a plus, since
my computer doesn't get slower when I visit one site or another that
happens to have 100 ads all flying in just one page of my browser and
taking over my CPU from me.

I prefer to *not* use the flash plugin, even for platforms where Adobe
offers one (like amd64), as a way to keep my computer free of non-free
software.

> Anyway, you right. I need to shutdown my debian, when i MUST to visit
> flash websites.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean here. Which of the uses above is not
covered by your needs?

If you have anything that is not covered here, then you might want to
talk with the swfdec and with the gnash developers. Free software is
shaped by your views, if you participate.

If you don't, then your problems will probably not be addressed the way
that you prefer and the programs won't work "your way".

> Thank you.
>
> GRV

I'm not sure about others, but I prefer not to talk to a person whose
name I can't really see. I have already read all the arguments ("a name
is just a label etc"), but I like to talk to a human.

This isn't mandatory, but just a way to get more feedback (at least from
my side).

Regards, Rogério Brito.