Diagnosing early kernel hang [was Re: kernel .config for Debian stock kernel?]

Brian P. Flaherty wrote:
Wartan Hachaturow wrote:
[...]

Kernel configs are available in kernel image packages, and reside in
/boot/config-*.

Thank you, I'll try to build a new kernel using the 2.6.18 config.

I built a 2.6.26 kernel today starting from the 2.6.18 config. That custom kernel hangs in the same place as the Debian installed and Lenny install CD kernel.

I don't know exactly where it is hanging, but it is pretty early in the boot process. I think it may be right before the frame buffer happens (Isn't that when the penguin shows up in the top fifth of the screen?). Today I was comparing the kernel and cpu options between the two configs, but couldn't not fix it.

Any suggestions for what I should look to change in the 2.6.26 config?

Also, are the fans quieter with 2.6.26? That is one of the reasons I wanted to try to get it working.

Thank you for your time and thoughts,

Brian