Succes netbooting powerbook6,8

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Binaries and directions
from the link both worked. I am officially running a free, actively
developed OS with working X11 on my Apple-abandoned platform. I'm giddy!

See below for details, but I have questions:
1) Sound is not working.
When launching Rhythmbox I get "Could not open audio device for
playback". My kernel appears to have all applicable sound options
enabled. Do I need to recompile my kernel? If so, with what options/patches?
SPECIFICATIONS:
Machine Model: powerbook6,8 1.5 GHZ 12" G4
Sound Card: TAS3004
% modprobe -c |less
# Workaround at bug #499695
#install snd-pcm /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-pcm && {
/sbin/modprobe --quiet snd-pcm-oss ; : ; }
I can provide more, but I don't know which part of the file is
applicable (and the whole thing is huge), just let me know what is needed.

####HERE'S WHAT I DID
###Prepare host computer
I used a PC-BSD Live CD on i386 Windows host. It has dhcpd and in.tftpd.
Download http://forums.pcbsd.org/viewtopic.php?p=57583#57583
Burn
Boot host from CD
login: root
%./pimpmyvga.sh 1280x1024 24 (or your resolution)
%exit
login: livecd
%startx
Launch Terminal
%ifconfig sis0 inet 192.168.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 -alias
%pw groupadd dhcpd
%pw useradd dhcpd
##My /etc/dhcpd.conf (not sure it's right but it worked)
option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;
option broadcast-address 192.168.0.255;
option routers 192.168.0.1;
subnet 192.168.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
}
host macnetboot {
    hardware ethernet 00:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX;
    fixed-address 192.168.0.12;
    option host-name "macnetboot";
    server-identifier 192.168.0.1;
    always-reply-rfc1048 on;
    option root-path "192.168.0.1:/media/UNTITLED";
    option routers 192.168.0.1;
    filename "yaboot";
    next-server 192.168.0.1;
}
Start dhcpd
Watch /var/log/messages for errors

###Prepare Debian installer
I attached a USB SD card, but you could manually create /media/UNTITLED
on the memory disk.
Download files from http://www.debian.org/distrib/netinst#netboot to
/media/UNTITLED
%ps ax | grep tftp
%kill <pid>
%/usr/local/libexec/in.tftpd -plsvvvv -u livecd /media/UNTITLED

###Network boot Debian installer from Powerbook
Unplug host ethernet from router, plug into powerbook
Boot cmd-ctl-o-f
0 > boot enet:,yaboot
It switches to yaboot black screen within 10 seconds

###Install Debian
Unplug ethernet from Powerbook and re-plug into host. Plug 2nd ethernet
into Powerbook and router (might as well have Internet on both computers).
Follow installation manual:
http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/powerpc/

When given the choice to IGNORE or CANCEL (warning about multiple
logical blocks), IGNORE, it's ok
I used parted to delete the single UFS partition, leaving my Mac OS X
partition intact. I created an extra partition for FreeBSD, and made
Apple_Bootstrap large enough to hold backup of Mac OS X.
Install yaboot as soon as possible. There is no obvious way to cancel
while downloading, and if something goes wrong (which it will) you have
to start over (which I did, several times).
Install software one component at a time, first Base System, then Desktop.
Finish up, reboot
Linux

###Fix Xorg
Xorg refused to start.
# Edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Options "UseFBDev" "false"

###Fix Broadcom driver
I got a ton of error messages about broadcom wireless driver being out
of date.
I installed elinks with aptitude.
I visited the reported link in elinks and followed the directions there.
My computer crashed during this process and I had to start over.

###Keymap Apple to Control
I added a startup script /etc/init.d/xmodmap.sh which makes both Command
keys act as Control keys
#! /bin/bash
# /etc/init.d/xmodmap.sh
#
xmodmap -e 'remove control = Control_L'
xmodmap -e 'keycode 115 = Control_L'
xmodmap -e 'add control = Control_L'
xkbset exp m

%update-rc.d xmodmap.sh
%/etc/init.d/xmodmap.sh

###Install essentials with aptitude (1)
less
screen
sudo
alpine-pico
xfce4 (lighter than gnome, but still powerful)

That's all for now.

I am really impressed with Debian on PowerPC. Thanks, y'all!

Ross