Re: snd-aos not working on a PowerBook6,2 (PowerBook G4 12")

Le Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 10:16:47PM +0300, Risto Suominen a écrit :
> 2008/8/21, Charles Plessy <plessy@debian.org>:
> >
> >  If there a chance that snd-powermac does not crash iMacs G5 anymore, I
> >  volunteer to make tests. Does anybody know if the code of snd-powermac
> >  evolved since 2006?
> >

> Yes, I've have made some fixes for older Macs, but they probably don't
> mean anything for iMac G5.

Hi all,

I loaded the snd-powermac module in my iMac G5, played a sound, and it
did not result in a crash. However, I did not manage to remove snd-aoa
(modprobe -r complained that it was in use), so I am not sure that the
test is valid.

In 2006, the freezes would typically happen in console mode, when
getting a beep at command-line, typically when pressing on TAB for bash
completion, or when GDM would try to greet the user with a beep. I
wanted to test snd-powermac in simimlar conditions, but apparenly, the
tab-completion is now silent and I do not know how to make artificial
console beeps...

In conclusion, if we manage to confirm that snd-powermac does not freeze
iMacs G5 anymore, we can try to ask on debian-boot@l.d.o if this module
can be removed from the blacklist.

Have a nice day,

--