Re: snd-aos not working on a PowerBook6,2 (PowerBook G4 12")

Le Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 02:45:35AM +0200, Vincent Lefevre a écrit :
> On 2008-08-21 22:55:38 +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
> > I agree, but if I understand correctly, the choice was between sound
> > not working out of the box on some computers, or Debian crashing out
> > of the box on some others...
>
> Couldn't the machine type be detected?

I do not know. The current workaround was implemented at a difficult
moment where some people were engaged in a very bitter conflict, so I
can imagine that it is the most straightforward, but not the most
optimum solution. There are two routes for improvement:

 - Either add some autodetection in Debian Installer,
 - or fix snd-powermac in the kernel.

I can help you or another volunteer with tests, but not more: I am not a
programmer and never studied Debian Installer. Furthermore, I recently
changed my home computer and only use ppc at work now. (But I still have
my old G5 iMac around: in Tokyo it is now worth only 300$ (30,000¥)
second hand for buyers, so I did not try to sell it).

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
Tsurumi, Kanagawa, Japan