Re: snd-aos not working on a PowerBook6,2 (PowerBook G4 12")

On 2008-08-21 22:55:38 +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
> I agree, but if I understand correctly, the choice was between sound
> not working out of the box on some computers, or Debian crashing out
> of the box on some others...

Couldn't the machine type be detected?

> Furthermore, although the information is well
> hidden, it is present in the erratas:
> http://www.debian.org/releases/etch/debian-installer/index.en.html

Developers aren't even aware of this. From this mailing-list:

Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2007 18:46:04 +0100
From: Elimar Riesebieter <riesebie@lxtec.de>
To: debian-powerpc@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: no sound with alsa

[...]
If you have udev running and a kernel >= 2.6.18-rc? then udev should
load your snd_aoa flavour at G4 PB's. Note: do not mention any snd-*
module in /etc/modules and no user-snd-blacklists in
/etc/modprobe.d/. linux-sound-base has to be configured for alsa.

So, I've put snd-powermac back to the /etc/modules file and sound is
working again by default.