Re: Questions for architecture requalification.

Hi there.

On Jul 21 2008, Charles Plessy wrote:
> let's ask on the list, then :)
>
> Users: is there a proeminent website, or an organisation that uses the
> Debian powerPC port? How many users and machines does it represent?

Not exactly a website/organization, but the page of the PowerPC port:
<http://penguinppc.org/>. It lists many links, like development etc.

There are the statistics generated by popcon and this is a nice
indicative of how many people are using Debian by each architecture.

> Developpers: is there a permanent team or a developper commited on long
> term that keeps the kernel, the glibc, the gcc and the boot loaders
> working and up to date?

Yes, there is a team at IBM that is interested in getting PowerPC
working on their hardware. If I recall correctly, Benjamin Herrenschmidt
was (is?) employed there, among many other people.

Actually, if you keep up with the kernel side of things, you'll see that
PowerPC is one of the "major" architectures, second only to ia32 (and,
now, quite possibly, x86-64).

The main mailings devoted to development of PowerPC and yaboot, for
instance, are at <http://ozlabs.org/mailman/listinfo>.

> Debian: who admins the buildds, who host the buildds, and where ?

Perhaps this is a partial answer to a question you have not asked:
http://buildd.debian.org/~jeroen/status/architecture.php?a=powerpc

:-)

IIRC, voltaire has altivec, while malo doesn't.

Hope this is useful, Rogério Brito.

P.S.: Unfortunately, it seems that my iBook battery died today. What a
pity. :-( This means that I won't be able to help as much with PowerPC
as I could if I had a machine here.