Re: death keyboard on powerbook g4 after an update of xkb-data -> 1.3-1

* Michel Dänzer <daenzer@debian.org> [2008-06-10 18:54:31 CEST]:
> On Tue, 2008-06-10 at 17:09 +0200, Gerfried Fuchs wrote:
> >  If you wouldn't have left #debianppc so quickly again you would have
> > received responses along the line suggesting using XkbModel pc10x
> > instead of macintosh.
>
> Apple keyboards have slightly different layouts than standard PC
> keyboards. If there is a problem with XkbModel "macintosh" (haven't had
> any since basically forever), it would be better to report that and get
> it fixed than to tell people to use pc10x.

 It wasn't only me mentioning that on the channel, sorry. And to be
honest, I don't see any difference in the keyboard layout on my German
PowreBook G4 to a regular PC-keyboard? Or do you mean that XkbModel
macintosh would behave more like on MacOS and have the @ on alt-l? If
it's the latter I am very happy to /not/ use that ...

 Just gave it a try with the keyboard switch applet from gnome - and it
indeed is that horror. Sorry, I simply can't recommend using the
macintosh XkbModel to anyone, alt-5 and alt-6 for [] and alt-l for @ is
not convenient, at least not to me. Not even remotely. It's hard to
remember the differences between english and german layout at times when
you are abroad already.

 So long,
Rhonda

 Btw., please refrain from Ccing me offlist, I read the lists I post to
unless I mention otherwise, thanks.