Re: Issues with Debian Lenny on Powerbook G4

On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 07:01:49 +0200
"Patrick Bachmann" <patrickbachmann@gmx.net> wrote:

> Hey Amit,
>
> On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 06:25:50 +0200, Amit Uttamchandani
> <amit.uttam@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi there,
> >
> > When I installed testing I changed the sources to sid and upgraded them.
> > But I still couldn't get the Xorg issue figured out. The graphics
> > controller I have is:

> >  product: Rage Mobility M3 AGP 2x
> >  vendor: ATI Technologies Inc
>
> I've been experiencing the same problems with the same hardware since at
> least last November. As I don't need my laptop, I just booted it every
> once in a while to upgrade the installed packages, and I have no idea,
> when it broke.
> I spend too much time already trying to get it to work again and am too
> busy for any more playing around.

I understand what you mean. Only Debian etch seems to work on this hardware. I've tried every other Linux Distro out there for PPC and I couldn't get any of them to start up X. Also, OpenBSD worked like a charm here. But I think I used OpenBSD 4.0 which was still using Xfree86.

> > It seems that's the major issue. Also how did you get the power
> > management to work? I couldn't get the sleep/suspend to ram working
> > properly?
>
> Unload some of the firewire modules and unplug external USB devices before
> suspending.

I didn't have any USB plugged in but I will try unloading the firewire modules next time that I am brave enough to try out testing/sid.

> Greetings,
>
> Patrick

Thanks,
Amit