Re: Issues with Debian Lenny on Powerbook G4

On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 19:22:18 +0200
Wolfgang Pfeiffer <roto@gmx.net> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 22 2008, at 10:23 -0700, Amit Uttamchandani wrote:
>
> > I switched back to etch on this laptop and everything worked like
> > magic.
> >
> > So right now I am back to running etch on this machine, which is
> > great. I just had to recompile a lot of the software that I needed
> > (claws mail 3.4.0, pidgin, etc.) but it didn't take too long since I
> > knew what I was doing and which libraries to install.
>
> Ever having considered to install sid/unstable? Most of the time it
> works like a charm on ab old titanium here:
>
> ******
>
> processor	: 0
> cpu		: 7455, altivec supported
> clock		: 667.000000MHz
> revision	: 0.2 (pvr 8001 0302)
> bogomips	: 66.56
> timebase	: 33331438
> platform	: PowerMac
> machine		: PowerBook3,5
> motherboard	: PowerBook3,5 MacRISC2 MacRISC Power Macintosh
> detected as	: 80 (PowerBook Titanium IV)
> pmac flags	: 0000001b
> L2 cache	: 256K unified
> pmac-generation	: NewWorld
>
> *****
>
> Graphics hardware:
>
> 0000:00:10.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies
> Inc Radeon RV250 [Mobility FireGL 9000] (rev 01)
>
> *****
>
> I don't know which "Powerbook G4 Titanium 500MHz" you have, but the
> one from cpuinfo, etc., above (maxm. 867 MHz), is having
> Debian/unstable on it since a very long time with few software
> problems, IIRC, over the last 2 or 3 years.
>
> There are problems from time to time ("unstable", sic!), sure enough,
> but most of them not difficult enough that even a lazybones like me
> would not be able find some solution to solve them ... :)

Hi there,

When I installed testing I changed the sources to sid and upgraded them. But I still couldn't get the Xorg issue figured out. The graphics controller I have is:

 product: Rage Mobility M3 AGP 2x
 vendor: ATI Technologies Inc

It seems that's the major issue. Also how did you get the power management to work? I couldn't get the sleep/suspend to ram working properly?

Thanks,
Amit