Re: Install 4.0 r0 "Etch" on IBM p5 510 inside LPAR

On Fri, Apr 20, 2007 at 09:42:00PM +0200, Wolfgang Pfeiffer wrote:
> Hi All
>
> On Thu, Apr 19 2007, at 23:08 +0200, Sven Luther wrote:

> > > Wrong. He tried a Debian install. And he tried it on powerpc. So he's
> > > at the fully correct place here.
> > >
> > > It won't hurt to crosspost if we know there's a specific list for a
> > > specific issue.
> > >
> > > But if I have to go for every specific problem - and all issues are
> > > specific - to a specific list I'm sooner or later in an impossible
> > > and non-manageable situation.
> >
> > Well, let's step into reality here, none of the debian-installer folk
> > really follow this list, and when one year ago i forwarded a report of
> > this kind to debian-boot, it set the events into motion which led to one
> > year of flamewar and hate.
>
> ????
>
> Sven, please: stick to the whole truth. They didn't kick you just for
> different opinions on software matters. One reason they did that was
> obviously the fact - if I'm not very much mistaken - that you were
> threatening one person physically:

On the 27th of marsch, while my mother was dying in el salvador, i went
to read debian-boot to change my ideas, and forwarded to debian-boot a
single mail from i don't remember who who had problems with d-i giving
my best advice, which was not so good after all. Within days, i was
removed from the d-i team, and my svn commit access removed, without
they even telling me, and i discovered this fact a full month later,
when, after the funeral and other issues which had to be handled, i
started again working on debian, more specifically the apus and prep
ports.

> http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2006/03/msg00620.html

Bullshit, bad english is the cause of this, my intentions was to tell
jonas, that i hope we didn't meet again in public, since after 4 days of
trying calmly and constructively to solve the RC bug at cause with this
problem, he managed to get me in such a state of frustration and anger,
that i doubt i would have been able to control myself in RL, (and would
probably thus go away from him and stop to try to solve the issue, like
i did when i meet him in erkelenz and he explained me during half an
hour that no, we should not look at the RC bug which was causing the
kernel to be uninstallable for months on the pegasos).

History tells that i was right about the bug in question, and even
though i found the problem and investigated the code during those 4
days of frustration, something which nobody even tried to do for 4-5
months that the bug was open (and RC) and people fumbled with hacks
after hacks, not bothering if they broke non-x86 architectures or not,
Jonas did not even credit me in the changelog.

After that, i had various comments from people who had similar
experience with Jonas, someone even commenting about "i think i now know
how jonas lost his front teeth", so ...

> And under such circumstances, Sven, in nearly every professional
> environment you would have had 5 minutes to pack. Maximum.

In a professional environment, this guys, would have been removed long
ago, and have no chance to cause further damage to his motivated
co-workers. In a professional environment half the asocial people
composing debina and with delussions of power, would have been sent
packing years before i ever was a problem, and i would have been able to
sue for harrasment for what the d-i team did against me, and i would
have gotten damage money when they chose to expulse me like they did
earlier this month.

> So if you really want to talk about history, tell us just the whole

I have always told the whole truth to all who would listen, and i take
it as an extreme insult to my honour that you dare call me a liar like
this, and i would hope you take this back quickly.

> truth. But I'd suggest - strongly suggest - to not stir up this old
> stuff again. I believe we've had this story much too often on this
> list. At least for my taste ...

Sure, and i was kicked out of debian because of it, and i only gave as
advice to go to the proper way of reporting bugs in debian, which is to
speak to the BTS, and not expect me anymore to relay the problems to the
appropriate lists, because not only do they ignore me, but i also get
hurt in return. Is this too much to ask ?

> > Installer related questions should be filled in the BTS, as installation
> > reports, and failing that, posted to debian-boot.
> >
> > Furthermore, if it is a kernel issue, it is also best to post it to
> > debian-kernel, or better yet to file a bug report against the kernel.
> > The debian-installer folk will forward it to the right place already,
> > which is why it is best to always file a bug report, instead of mailing
> > on a list where the two most concerned group of people are not going to
> > hear about it.
>
> I don't doubt that there are other lists being much more appropriate
> for certain issues than this one: But as there are, IINM, literally
> hundreds of mailing-lists it is always a good idea to firstly address
> - when it comes to powerpc related Debian issues - this precious, not
> so little powerpc list ... :)

Which is why there is a BTS, which is the natural place for reporting
problems. Why not use it, instead of expecting others to forward your
question for you ? Especially given that i was probably the only one
which used to do that; and got severly hurt by doing it.

> That was actually all I wanted to say in my previous posting: And
> sorry if the words I chose ("Wrong.") weren't as polite as they could
> have been ...

Well, possibly, but have i ever given something else here than good and
honest advice ? Was i ever less than helpful to people asking question ?
Thruthful and blunt sometimes maybe.

And sorry if this is a sore point for me, but i think you would
understand my position too. (and ask me if you want pointers to what
really happened, i will send them to you in private).

Friendly,

Sven Luther