Re: Which kernel is good for my Powerbook G3?

On 7/26/07, Sven Luther <sven@powerlinux.fr> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 26, 2007 at 08:55:33AM +0200, bibinix@gmx.net wrote:
> > Do you think that the x-window-system and xfce can fit into a 1.3 Giga? (this is what is left in my pbg3 and I do not want to erase the Mac OS 8.6 partition since I am attached to it and also I don't want to go back an do pdisk and so on since I remember it was really complex). I see that xubuntu need 1.5 Gb of disk space!
>
> It might be ok. I have currently a bit under 3GB used on my efika
> machine, which has 650MB in /home, and has in addition of xfce, apache,
> postgresql and asterisk, 3 full compiler suites, and a bunch of
> libraries installed. So, i am unsure if you can go down to 1.3GB or not.

I, too am not sure what the minimum is, but you are lucky on that
model -- I have the same machine, a 266 Mhz PowerBook G3 Series (aka
Wallstreet II/PDQ) -- and it's easy to put in a larger hard drive. The
drive is located underneath the keyboard and is VERY easy to reach
compared to some other models. Nowadays you can find a 20 gig or
larger drive for very little money.

I'm not yet running the latest Debian (or Ubuntu) so I am interested
in knowing how the newest release works for you. Please report back
after you have upgraded!