Re: Powernowd: fast switch to high speed

Hi Jörg

Thanks for asking: This got me looking again today into that issue,
and helped me getting things a bit clearer, maybe even fixing it.
Sort of ... :)

On Tue, Jun 12 2007, at 21:50 +0000, Jörg Sommer wrote:
> Hallo Wolfgang,
>
> Wolfgang Pfeiffer <roto@gmx.net> wrote:
> > I removed cpufreqd (due to a, IINM, bug) and installed powernowd:
>
> Why did you do that? Is cpufreqd obsolated?

Not that I knew about it. But I got an error when booting, yesterday,
along the line of this:

"CPUFreq Utilities: Setting ondemand CPUFreq governor.. CPU0...failed"

Now, I thought, after some googling, that the new cpufreqd, after
upgrading it yesterday, was buggy, thus unable to set the ondemand
governor. And I installed powernowd.

But after your mail I rebooted and found the error still happen. So it
was obviously not a bug on cpufreqd's side but something else ...

2 mistakes that I made, IINM (if I'm in good mood, I always do them
in a long row ... :) .. :

*** 1:

It wasn't cpufreqd that failed, but the CPUFreq Utilities - reading my
own logs would have helped me get that straight.

*** 2:

I believe it's also not cpufrequtils that failed, but the fact that on
my machine, Powerbook5,8, the ondemand governor does not seem to
work:

--------
"On-demand does not work on 7xx/74xx processors because of the time
required to switch speeds. The only really usable speed switching mode
on PPC is userspace, along with powernowd, cpufreq, etc. You can use
performance and powersave, but I'd recommend userspace as an On-demand
replacement."

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-462417.html
---------

*And* the fact, that the *new* CPUFreq Utilities seem to try loading
exactly that governor by default. Provided there is no
/etc/default/cpufrequtils that tells them to do otherwise. But that
latter file, IIRC, didn't exist here until I created it a few minutes
ago:

/etc/default/cpufrequtils:
-------------------
# [ ... ]

ENABLE="true"
GOVERNOR="userspace"
MAX_SPEED=1666666
MIN_SPEED=833333

-------------------

Examples:

$ /sbin/lsmod | grep -i demand
cpufreq_ondemand        6264  0

As root:
# cpufreq-set -g ondemand
Error setting new values. Common errors:
- Do you have proper administration rights? (super-user?)
- Is the governor you requested available and modprobed?
- Trying to set an invalid policy?
- Trying to set a specific frequency, but userspace governor is not available,
   for example because of hardware which cannot be set to a specific frequency
   or because the userspace governor isn't loaded?

# cpufreq-info -p
833333 1666666 userspace

# cpufreq-set -g performance

# cpufreq-info -p
833333 1666666 performance

The fact I messed up fixing the issue yesterday was due to the fact
that the error happened to occur exactly at a moment when I wanted to
do anything but fixing my computer ... so I needed a quick solution

But at least we all know now how powernowd works ... :)

BTW:
The mistake I made yesterday with powernowd, IIRC, before I wrote the
first mail in this thread: I tried to set every value with a separate
powernowd command. Which does not work, IINM, because all values that
are not set explicitly on the CLI are set back to a default one. Which
I did not know until I found it by trying.

Again: Thanks for asking, Jörg. I'm still not sure I fixed it all, but
at least I hope being closer to that ... :)

Best Regards
Wolfgang

--
Wolfgang Pfeiffer: /ICQ: 286585973/ + + +  /AIM: crashinglinux/
http://profiles.yahoo.com/wolfgangpfeiffer

I made slight changes on Key ID: E3037113. Please refresh it.
http://keyserver.mine.nu/pks/lookup?search=0xE3037113&fingerprint=on