Re: Responsiveness issue(s)

On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 03:20:09 +0200, Andrew J. Barr wrote:

> The kernel
> is a custom 2.6.20.6 kernel with preemption installed (I note that
> because it's not in the default powerpc kernel from etch)

Preemption on PPC is (was?) a bad bad idea.
Try using the Debian stock kernel for a while and see if things get
better.

As for the rest, check that DMA is activated on your hard drive. Which is
extremely slow anyway... I have an iBook so I know what I'm talking
about :)

--
Best Regards, Jack
Linux User #264449