Responsiveness issue(s)

Hi, I'm new to Linux on PowerPC, I recently lucked into a post-Feb05 17" PowerBook G4. Needless to say I blew away Mac OS X pretty quickly and installed Debian etch, which was later upgraded to unstable. The kernel is a custom 2.6.20.6 kernel with preemption installed (I note that because it's not in the default powerpc kernel from etch).

A couple of issues, not sure if they are related:

- GNOME takes *forever* to start, from GDM on. Even the init scripts seem slow compared to my 1.6GHz Pentium M Thinkpad, but that could be because I have not installed upstart on this machine yet. This laptop has a 1.67GHz G4 in it, so it's no slouch. It should be faster than the Thinkpad, or at least on par, right? The first time I start Iceweasel and Icedove they take forever to start too, but it seems subsequent startups aren't nearly as bad.

- The sound gets skippy on fairly innocuous things like scrolling or tab switching in Iceweasel. I am using Compiz, but this is hardware accelerated and Xorg isn't using CPU like it is doing these effects in software. I have Xorg 7.2 and 6.6.191 of the ATI driver. The hardware is an RV350 (Radeon Mobility 9600 M10). It seems to be mostly isolated to when Iceweasel is running, for some strange reason. On x86 I'd look at some kind of interrupt issue, but I am clueless about PowerPC.

Any ideas?