Re: A friendly plea for Linux PPC help!

On Mar 19, 2007, at 2:41 AM, Anthony Henson wrote:

Hey look what I found! http://fare.livejournal.com/93274.html (do a find on quik) It was funny because I've actually got OF booting up quik! and quik is giving me a kernal!!!!! PANIC!!! tho! I think I know why, need to get the initrd goin, just like bootx, I'm doing this right now, my back is killing me and I'm moving slow. but when I googled quik.conf and initrd I found a debian mailing list post, answered by you, from 2004, somehow, I think I went back a few, I found this gem sitting in google for me. If anything, it's THE most comprehensive detailed install instructions for quik, and even how to pull it off when first installing debian. I imagine he got this to work just fine, because he compiled a kernel that didn't need a ramdisk. This is where my linux knowlage stops, I started with this thing to refamilierize myself with linux, and I loved it so much, I'm e-mailing you from a SUSE install I did on an old 450MHZ I got from someone yesterday... but I'm absolutely determed to get this g3 running, because I need to aquire some small machine for a linux server farm, and these g3's are perfect. I am going to mail the list with detailed instructions on how exactly I got this sucker to work, (if I do)... Do you know of an easy way to compile the kernel to not need a ramdisk?? I'll google it once I get my new quik.conf setup, but I'm sure it's not something a novice like me will pull off easily. Thanks for everything, sorry for ranting, this damn thing has brought out the absolute worst in me.

Cool.

I've never done it, personally, but compiling a Debian kernel is supposed to be really easy. Maybe somebody on the list can give you a brief rundown on it. (I've CC'ed this to the Debian powerpc list) Also, try Google-ing for "compiling a Linux Debian kernel from source" without the quotes. It looks like there's some good how-to's out there that may be helpful.

I think the trick in making a kernel that doesn't need a ramdisk is to make sure that all the drivers and other modularize-able stuff is non-modular.

Not to be a wet blanket -- and I may be completely wrong -- but I'm not sure that booting without a ramdisk is possible for Debian 2.6 kernels. Once again, somebody on the list will know for sure.

Please do writeup a step-by-step report on your process once you have a success. There will be others who will follow you and thank you for taking the time.

A man page that you may find useful is "bootparam(7)" .

Good luck.

Rick