Re: A friendly plea for Linux PPC help!

On Mar 18, 2007, at 5:06 PM, Anthony Henson wrote:

making some progress on my own here, got quik to start booting, but then it gives me default catch, and then claim failed... I don't know how to use this mailing list at all, I am such a newb. I mailed my thing to powerpclist@debian or whatever, how do I like, you know, update it with this new info?

The address to send email to the debian PowerPC list is debian- powerpc@lists.debian.org.

Before you do, a few bits of advice:

1) Calm down. Swearing at people doesn't make them interested in helping you.

2) Read The Fine Manual. If for no other reason than to learn the terms of reference -- it helps to ask and answer questions if you can do it in the jargon of the experts. Most of the people on the list will assume you have already done that. They will have no patience with you if you haven't. I'm sorry that's the way it is, but it's just a fact of life and it's best to get over it sooner rather than later. You'll get better answers *and* you won't get so frustrated.

3) This business (quik) *is* arcane. *Nobody* knows how to make it work in all cases. A few people have found an incantation that works on their hardware, but there's no guarantee it will work on yours. And yes, the netBSD manual is the best place to start. It will give you some idea of just how arcane this business really is.

4) If you think there should be a simple bootloader for the OldWorld Macs that works all the time on all hardware, well... This is open source -- you can write one. So far, though, nobody has felt the need enough to do that. That's why such a thing doesn't exist right now.

5) BootX is not significantly slower on my beige G3 Tower than yaboot is on my Blue&White G3.

6) The thing that's screwing up your MacOS partition is probably the quik installer. I've never had problems like what you describe except when I've been fiddling around with quik.

7) Take a look at http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi? bug=413814 . I wrote some stuff there in reply to another person who was trying to get Debian Etch installed on his beige G3. That may be helpful to you as well. In particular, I gave the necessary magic to keep the Debian Installer from trying to install quik, if you're booting from MacOS with BootX.

8) You didn't ask, but the concert went very well, in spite of a major snow storm in the mid-atlantic area.

Enjoy!

Rick