Re: QUIK READ ERROR ON BLOCK 63747 (KERNAL PANIC NOW!)

Hello, check this out:
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/quik/+bug/83346
apparently quik can't boot ubuntu's newer kernels. I also a kernel panic with the newer 2.6 kernel under debian. I was however able to boot the 2.6.8 kernel, though, and Ubuntu warty has kernel-image-2.6.7-powerpc. So, if you're up for an experiment then change /etc/apt/source.list to warty
apt-get update
apt-get install kernel-image-2.6.7-powerpc
Then redo quik to point to the new kernel.
I've never mixed releases on purpose before, so I don't know if this will work or what harm it might do. Anyways, you should be able to boot with bootx, as long as you don't install anything other than the kernel. As far as I know quik has been updated in recent years to support initrd, so that shouldn't be the problem. I think, the problem is that nobody has built support for old world mac hardware into the new ubuntu kernels.
Rob

FREE pop-up blocking with the new MSN Toolbar - get it now! http://toolbar.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200415ave/direct/01/