Re: A friendly plea for Linux PPC help!

Err, who the hell is Paul Anderson?
I did manage to get quik installed and booting under a running debian installation that booted with bootx, so, take hope, it is possible. However this was done with debian and not ubuntu. You mentioned using quikconfig. Have you changed the /etc/quik.conf file to tell it where the boot partition is and where root is, before running quikconfig? How do you know ide0/disk@0,0 is the correct boot-device? Have you ever booted anything off it? Theoretically once quik is correctly configured, and you tell openfirmware where quik is, quik should boot linux. But I have my doubts that you have the correct boot-device, shouldn't it be ide0/disk@0:8? That gets me to netbsd. When I said read the netbsd manual, I didn't mean skim over it. I meant wake up in the morning or afternoon, make yourself a cup of coffee, eat some breakfast and take the phone off the hook. Now start reading the manual, you can skip over the parts with openfirmware 3. You might be feeling hungry after a few hours, make yourself some lunch (a bag of chips will do). Read on, you should be finished around dinner time. It's really a fascinating read. Honest. Finding your boot-device, fixing open firmware and installing netbsd in any which way are thoroughly explained. Getting back to debian, have you tried the floppies at layer-acht? If those don't work then I must be mental.
Good luck, rob

p.s. are you suscribed to this list?