QUIK READ ERROR ON BLOCK 63747

I am about ready to take a chainsaw to this damn thing. I have tried all kinds of different quik.conf settings, I ended up coping one straight from some other guy that I googled,

timeout=10
default=linux
image=/boot/vmlinux
    label=linux
    root=/dev/hda9
    partition=9

so that's my /etc/quik.conf
I run quik, I reboot, I set my real-base to F00000, boot-device to ide0/disk@0:9 bootfile to /vmlinux root=/dev/hda9 reset-all, when it comes back to OF, I type boot, I get the boot: prompt, I type linux, and I get "Read error on block 63747" twice, then cannot load image or find image or somesuch.
I've tried every single variation of boot-device and boot-file that I can think of. do I have to do some kind of filesystem check in linux (I use BootX for now)? This is the worst god damn experiance I have ever had with a computer, I finally search thru hundreds of pages because the manual for quik is totally non-existant and the man page is useless, why the hell is there no clear cut page that explains how to use this fakin program? so damn frustrating. Help save a life, tell me what to do!