Powermac G5 does not boot without a display connected

Hello,

I just installed Debian testing on my Quad core Powermac G5. I don't want to have a display connected to it, because this box is used as a server.

With display, the system runs fine, but without, it does not boot properly.
I'm unable to connect to it via SSH. Echo requests are answered sporadically (only 10-20 echo requests are answered) .

Kernel: 2.6.18-3-powerpc64
There is no Xserver installed.

I tried other Linux distros with different kernels (2.6.18, 2.6.19, 2.6.20), but the problem is always the same.

I may disconnect the display as soon as the yaboot prompt shows up. Then the system boots without any problem. It seems to be some issue with openfirmware. There is nothing about this failed boot in the log files (a dmesg file of the failed boot is not created) and the Powermac has no serial port, which can be used as a serial console.

What may I do to get this machine booting headless?

Thank you,

Sascha