Re: linux-kernel-di-powerpc-2.6_1.24_powerpc.changes REJECTED

On Mon, Nov 27, 2006 at 06:38:31PM +0100, Michael Schmitz wrote:

> > > I would be very interested to learn why the upload was rejected. AFAIK, a
> > > reason must be given.
> >
> > The only reason was :
> >
> >   reject as requested by debian-boot
>
> Someone should be in the position to explain the reasons for this.

Well, it was not Ganneff, or at least he told me so, i don't know more from
the ftp-masters.

Frans has said that he requested the reject because i am not the d-i powerpc
porter.

> > > At this point, I suggest you resume building regular d-i snapshots for
> > > powerpc incorporating all of the patches of yours that get rejected, so
> >
> > Not possible, netboot installation media need packages in the archive. Not
> > everything is in the d-i snapshots.
>
> I see. Is the installer smart enough to pull packages from more than one
> archive? That would permit you to only place the modified udebs in your
> forked archive, and pull the rest from the official archives.

Well, no, the d-i is not smart enough to pull packages from more than one
location, or we would have been able to solve the non-free firmware issue
properly.

I guess i could implement that fix in the local version though :)

> Absent this, powerpc users can only file 'this is broken' bugs. Should be
> done anyway, IMO.

Yeah, but if i don't fix them, who will, like :

  #397973: [powerpci/mac] partman-md appears to not write back the raid flag
  to partitions.

Open since 16 days, and not a single comment on it.

Friendly,

Sven Luther