which serious bugs exactly? (Re: if you care about debian on powerpc, please react ...)

Hi,

summary for powerpc-users: _if_ you have serious problems with debian-powerpc
working on your machine(s), please report them to the bug tracking system, so
we can fix them. If you don't know how (or need a bit help), I'm glad to help
on this. http://bugs.debian.org is a good starting point :)

I'm not interesting in this thread. Read the full mail to see why.

On Wednesday 22 November 2006 18:00, Sven Luther wrote:
> As some of you may have noticed, there is an ugly dispute going on between
> some few d-i team members (Frans Pop and Joey Hess mostly, but Geert and
> Holger also seem to support them), and which result in a over 6 month old
> dispute

Sven, the dispute is much older. I'm too lazy to dig it up now, but I would
say it's about and at least 18-24 month old (but you only see your svn-commit
rights and think it started when they where removed. The dispute did not
start when they where removed, this was only one climax.). And you're
behaviour of claiming to let it rest and then writing tens (!) of mails to
various lists certainly didn't help at all to let the issue settle.

For the sake of the users of the powerpc-port I'll quote here what I replied
to your mail to debian-release on this wednesday about the same issue.

And, I will not participate in this topic/thread anymore, as I seriously think
this is a waste of time and I prefer to instead work on debian, including
debian powerpc. And I have to admit, that in the last two or three month I
often refrained from working on debian-ppc, because you, Sven, have too often
killed my motivation to work on it. (I work mostly (but not completly on
debian-edu/ppc now...)

So please stop this. Either fork d-i (or debian/ppc) or _work_ on patches and
bugreports instead of wasting our time trying to "solve" this situation,
which according to you can only be "solved" by giving you svn-commit-rights
back, which doesn't work, if the people maintaining the debian-installer
doesn't want to work with you. Debian is a volunteer project and you cannot
force people to work with you, no matter what.

If you would have worked (as I suggested to you in June (or July?) this year)
on patches and bugreports and not continuesly ranted and insulted the people
who cannot work with you (which you have done on >5 lists and by writing
(estimated) 40% of all mails in those threads), because you rant and insult
so much, and would have the commit right issue rested, the situation would
have calmed down by now. Maybe not enough to get the commit rights (now), but
as you haven't done this, *you* have worsen the chances to get them back
sooner than later.

My mail to debian-release on thursday:

---- begin ----

On Wednesday 22 November 2006 18:22, Sven Luther wrote:
> I know that you maybe defavorably biased against me in the petty dispute
> between me and frans and joeyh some unnamed others, over the powerpc port
> of d-i.
>
> But, we are nearing the release, and the actions of Frans are clearly
> endangering the quality of the d-i powerpc port, and there is a decision to
> take about this issue, and i guess the decision is yours to make.

I'm sad you don't stick to your promise which you wrote down on at
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/FransPopAndOthersVs.SvenLutherIssue/
etc.:

"I propose we meet at fosdem, and discuss the dispute then. Until then, i will
consider that the dispute is solved and relations have normalized, and will
continue to work through the BTS for patches and stuff. I will try to not go
balistic if you reply provocatively, but i can't promise i will always be able
to do so, just as you probably cannot promise me you will never be provocative
again. In any case, until fosdem, there is ample time to reflect on this
issue, but i hope you will find that restoring the commit access by then will
be acceptable.

So, unless during that face to face meeting something goes very wrong, i
consider the case closed, and wish you good luck with your upcoming trip."

>   1) We drop support for powerpc for etch.

Why exactly?

On http://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/EtchRC1Prep I only see rather minor
issues regardings powerpc (btw, I think that declaring which subarchs are
broken would help. But the powerpc subarch with the biggest userbase,
newworld, works just fine (IMEs).)

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?maint=debian-boot@lists.debian.org;include=powerpc
lists 4 important bugs, but no serious ones.

And http://wiki.debian.org/powerpcEtchReleaseRecertification lists six
d-developers, and not only you, Sven.

And on http://release.debian.org/etch_arch_qualify.html powerpc is one of the
five archs (out of 12) which only "green" fields.

So I would say, the powerpc-port is in a pretty good shape overall. If you
have other indications, please file them with the appropriate severity in the
BTS or stop spreading fear, uncertainty and doubt. Thanks.

regards,
        Holger (who seriously asks himself why I even took the time to answer
this. I think because it made me check the actual status (after all I care
about powerpc) and I thought it would be good to let the users and developers
know what the result of my status check is, which I have done with the
metrics Debian commonly uses.)