Re: if you care about debian on powerpc, please react ...

On Thu, 2006-11-23 at 10:06 +0100, Sven Luther wrote:

> Ok, i see, i think the request is for automatically finding the OSX firmware,
> and using that.

Yeah.

> I would gladly add an alternative .udeb which did just that, if someone with
> an OSX installation and the hardware in question did provide me with
> information on how to find the firmware.

Well the firmware is in some .kext, don't have the exact filename handy
right now. I'm not sure how it is stored on the OSX install-DVD.
bcm43xx-fwcutter can extract from a bunch of those kexts.

> Now, since the disk related d-i steps are happening at a later stage than the
> d-i network setup, it would not be easily possible to use the airport extreme
> card to do a net install.

Yeah, that's true.

> What is the redistribution licence of said firmware ? Maybe we can include it
> in the d-i image or something.

Hah, I wish. No, it's not redistributable unless you're an OEM. Some
people have tried to contact Broadcom to no avail. Maybe we should
strike a deal with someone like HP where they offer bcmwl5.sys for
download without the huge driver package. But I don't know if they can.

johannes